School Art Show

Ellie Roe, Staff Writer

The Society of Fine Artists recently hosted our annual art show which was open for friends and family to look at all the artwork and listen to music. The event was hosted after school on May 10 and took place from 4-7 pm before the high school band concert played their various pieces. Preceding this day were countless hours of hard work, planning, and dedication. Each member of SOFA made a great effort in seeing the art show become a success, and talk of the school for coming days.

Each year the SOFA club chooses a day to specifically begin “art show” discussions months in advance. These meetings go over everything from art layouts and promotions, to food and music organizers. Members are chosen for different assignments depending on their specific skill sets or desire for a task. For example, most members will be on art set-up and takedown, but the student positions to choose artwork for the show may be limited. Communication between groups was key to a successful art show, and meetings would frequently take place so that everyone was on the same page when it came to tasks. Many students devoted hours after school as well as in school to hang artwork onto boards, or place paintings on easels for the gallery. Mr. Loppnow provided the students with materials, and help, by organizing and planning for the art show along with them. The food organizers reached out to Ms. Woodsworth and the many culinary students who worked hard to create tasty dishes, and drinks. These appetizers were placed near the artwork and drew a lot of attention towards the paintings and display boards as well.

The days leading up to the art show started to get more hectic the closer the day of the show came, but everyone managed to work well under pressure and make sure everything ran smoothly. Prior to the event, students worked during the school day and after school in order to do some last minute arranging. Photographs and painting were strategically arranged on boards so that they were aesthetically pleasing for viewers to look at. For example, if a large painting was placed on a panel then 2 or 3 photographs would be placed around it. The idea was to not have too many pieces close together or of similar size. After the boards were finished they were wheeled out into the lobby and placed in a line down the middle. Tables that contained 3-D artwork were placed alongside the trophy cases and used as a centerpiece for the entrance of the school. Generally, the layout will stay the same each art show but differ depending on new artworks or if someone requests the design change. Calm music was also played to accompany the artwork and contained artists such as Bon Iver, Tom Rosenthal, and Jessica Lea Mayfield.

Once the art show began all the seniors stood by their own art boards and watched as the people started to flood in. The rest of the SOFA group stood around different art boards, food tables, and greeted those who walked through the doors. Many of the family members of concert students got a chance to view the artwork and eat some snacks before the show began. Allison Lee was able to attend the art show before playing in the band concert and thought the students “really have amazing talent” when viewing the art. Ultimately, the rest of the night was a great success and allowed many people to see what the students have to offer in different artistic forms. None of this would be possible without the help of Mr. Loppnow, Ms. Woodsworth and the culinary group, or the SOFA members who put the show together!

• Features

Fleurette

• School Art Show

Arts & Entertainment

Think of Summer

• School Art Show

Arts & Entertainment

Inspirational Quote Of The Week

• School Art Show

Arts & Entertainment

Song Of The Week

• School Art Show

Arts & Entertainment

Song Of The Week

• School Art Show

Arts & Entertainment

Inspirational Quote Of The Week

• School Art Show

Arts & Entertainment

Book Review: I Survived The Attacks Of September 11, 2001

• School Art Show

Arts & Entertainment

Song Of The Week

• School Art Show

Arts & Entertainment

Inspirational Quote Of The Week

• School Art Show

Arts & Entertainment

Song Of The Week

School Art Show