Lorenz and La Pean lead cancer fundraisers

Coaches vs Cancer game set for Friday, January 22

Alyssa De Fere, Staff Writer

Juniors Alisha LaPean and Erica Lorenz worked with the American Cancer Society to organize a Coach vs Cancer Basketball Game event. The game coincides with a bracelet sale and a penny war, throughout this week and the following. The boys varsity game is home against Roncalli on Friday, January 22.

“Coach vs Cancer is a fundraiser that mixes in a basketball game to raise money for those who fight against cancer,” Lorenz said.  “It is sponsored by the American Cancer Society and it’s all connected with Relay For Life,” she said.

The basketball game isn’t the only event that the girls have planned. “We’re organizing a penny wars where all the teachers actually shave their heads,” LaPean said.  The three teachers whose heads will be shaved are John Henney, Matthew Pfister, and Mason White, Jo. Their heads will be shaved in the hallway before the game.

Wristbands will be available to purchase, as well as cards to put on the Wall Of Hope.  “We’re going to have a Wall Of Hope where you can buy a card and write someone’s name on it and say what you want to for them.  We’re going to hang those up in the gym lobby before the game as well,” said LaPean.

“We’re doing a teddy bear toss where you buy a teddy bear and then you throw it in the middle of the court and whoever throws theirs closest to the eye of the falcon gets a prize and all the bears are swept up and donated to a hospital.”

The Coach vs Cancer fundraiser has been around for a while and Sheboygan Falls High School has taken part in it in the past.  However, there has not been much publicity for it until this year.  Lorenz and La Pean are trying to make this fundraiser a yearly event.  “We would really like to do it every year,” said LaPean.  

“It’s a really good cause and it’s a good thing for people to get involved with, especially students, because it’s kind of like a support system for everybody else so they know that other people have the same problems and they can communicate with them and get together,” said LaPean.

This is the first year that Lorenz started working with the American Cancer Society.  She was sought out by a member of the society shortly after she organized a team for the Relay For Life event this past summer.  “This year I started working with someone from the American Cancer Society and we were thinking of ways that we can get awareness into the school more and we thought this was a good idea.” said Lorenz. “We’re hoping to get something that comes back as a big fund event for every year.”

This is the first year that Lorenz started working with the American Cancer Society.  She was sought out by a member of the society shortly after she organized a team for the Relay For Life event this past summer. “This year I started working with someone from the American Cancer Society and we were thinking of ways that we can get awareness into the school more and we thought this was a good idea,” said Lorenz. “We’re hoping to get something that comes back as a big fund event for every year.”