FFA State Officer encourages agriculture students

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo Credit: Alyssa De Fere

Photo Credit: Alyssa De Fere

Photo Credit: Alyssa De Fere

Alyssa De Fere

Alyssa De Fere, Co-Editor

On Friday, October 28th, FFA State Officer, Sarah Van Asten, was welcomed into Sheboygan Falls High School to share her experience, knowledge, and goals with FFA members and agricultural students.

There are ten sections that divide up Wisconsin.  We are a part of section 9.  Sarah explained how she was elected to represent any FFA members and agriculture students within this section.  “Part of my duties to be a State Officer is visiting all of the schools in my section.  So I have about 35 different visits that I will do within the next two months and that consists of me coming to a school and hanging out with you guys, telling you about FFA and about our culture and hopefully having a little bit of fun along the way,” said Sarah.

Along with visiting schools, another of Miss Sarah’s duties is to educate students about what the FFA organization really stands for.  “Yes we are an agriculturally based organization, but we do not consist of only farmers.  Farming is a big part of production in agriculture but that is not all that we are as FFA members.” said Sarah.  According to the official Wisconsin FFA website, “The Wisconsin Association of FFA is an association of the National FFA Organization whose mission is to make a positive difference in the lives of students by developing their potential for premier leadership, personal growth and career success through agricultural education”.   

FFA State Officers are working to develop leaders, whether if it’s educating students in a classroom, or simply leading by example.  “I have so many more skills that I learned throughout FFA that prepared me for this journey called life,” Sarah said. “FFA also makes you a better person, it grows you as a person, develops you, gives you skills that you never thought you would have.  Different characteristics such as: integrity, honesty, respect and responsibility,” said Sarah.

To practice these characteristics, and have a little fun, Sarah introduced some games to the students to get everyone talking (see video of food production class).

After her term as an officer has ended, Sarah will pass on her responsibilities to a new state officer in June.  Next fall, Sarah Van Asten will be attending the University of Illinois to study Agricultural Science Education.  She will be working to become an Ag Teacher and FFA advisor, continuing to educate high school students about the importance of agriculture.

• FFA State Officer encourages agriculture students

Arts & Entertainment

New Show On Freeform Bases Mythical Characters on Greek Legends

Editorials

See You All Next School Year!

• Features

The Spring Band Concert

Editorials

A Student’s Analysis of Music and Social Groups

Features

Student Takes Initiative to Promote Autism Awareness and Acceptance

• Features

Culinary III

Opinion

Yin & Yang Debate: Hectic Hands

Arts & Entertainment

The Accidentials

• Editorials

David’s Thoughts: Stress

• Arts & Entertainment

Spring Makeup