Golf season tees up for par

Back to Article
Back to Article

Golf season tees up for par

Alyssa De Fere, Staff Writer

With ice and snow, it is never too early to start practice for the golf team. Since Wednesday February 1st, Coach Jagow has held an open gym practice for all returning members, as well as newbies who are interested in joining this spring.

On Wednesday mornings, starting at 6:30am, players are welcome to meet in the gym and practice on indoor mats for as long as an hour. Yellow foam golf balls are used for safety, yet still stimulate an accurate result as a traditional golf ball. Smaller nets are also set up around the gym for chipping practice, which can also be shot from the indoor mats.

Leading the team, Collin Clark, a senior and varsity one, looks forward to what the new season holds for the team’s future. “I’m excited to enjoy this season with the team and to go out and compete against others. My main goal, personally, is to do the best I can and be a leader for the team.” Clark hopes for the team to win conference this year and to strive in the postseason.

Aaron Schleicher, a freshman, already has roughly three years of experience playing the sport. Schleicher looks forward to what this season has in store for him. “I look forward to just having fun.”

This is Andrew Jagow’s fourth year coaching the boys Sheboygan Falls Golf Team and his third year being head coach. “I actually was assistant coach back at Cedarburg High School when I first started teaching. So it’s like five years now.” Jagow did not start golfing until he was twelve, which was when he received his first set of clubs, but he did play in high school. “I was really really bad my freshman year, and then my sophomore year I worked my way up and actually made varsity towards the end of the year of high school,” said Jagow.

The majority of last year’s varsity team was seniors. It will be interesting to see how tryouts will play out and who will get moved up. “I am really looking forward to how our team adapts and develops because we lost four seniors and there are a lot of open spots and I’m really really excited to see the competition. I’m excited to see who is going to make it, you know and fill in those roles,” Jagow said.

Looking into the upcoming season, Jagow is ready for the players to achieve their goals as a team. “I’m really excited to see how we are going to hold our own in the conference. I still think that we are really good. I think that we are really competitive and I think we have a really really good shot at us winning conference and that’s the goal.”

Overall, the golf team is ready for this season to start in March and to practice on a real course, The Bull.

• Golf season tees up for par

Arts & Entertainment

New Show On Freeform Bases Mythical Characters on Greek Legends

• Golf season tees up for par

Editorials

See You All Next School Year!

• Features

The Spring Band Concert

• Golf season tees up for par

Editorials

A Student’s Analysis of Music and Social Groups

• Golf season tees up for par

Features

Student Takes Initiative to Promote Autism Awareness and Acceptance

• Features

Culinary III

• Golf season tees up for par

Opinion

Yin & Yang Debate: Hectic Hands

• Golf season tees up for par

Arts & Entertainment

The Accidentials

• Editorials

David’s Thoughts: Stress

• Arts & Entertainment

Spring Makeup

Golf season tees up for par