One reason to love the netflix series Thirteen Reasons Why

Back to Article
Back to Article

Dajzia Taylor, Staff Writer

13 Reasons Why is a tv series on Netflix. The show is based all around a young woman named Hannah Baker who took her life and does a tape for each person who has led her to taking her own life.

1. In the first  episode, after the mourning of the death of Hannah, her friend Clay receives a box of tapes that Hannah recorded before her death to explain the reasons that she decided to do what she did.
  2. In the second episode they tell us the story of Justin and Hannah.
  3. In episode three, jealousy and gossip take a toll on Hannah and her relationships. As her friend Alex struggles with feelings of regret.
  4. Clay decides to start striking back to the ones who wronged Hannah in episode four. Along with Clay getting upset so is Hannah’s mother, and she confronts the principal.
  5. In episode five Clay finally tries to act on his crush on Hannah at the school dance but during their slow dance a crass rumor ruins the mood.
  6. In this episode, Alex gets into a fight and has to go to the school review board. Hannah goes on a Valentine’s Day date with Marcus.
  7. Through the episodes Clay is having nightmares about Hannah, but in episode seven his nightmares start to take place in the daytime.
  8. In episode eight Hannah decides to do poetry and pours her heart out on paper, but a person she called friend decides to take it into his own hands and show the school agents Hannah’s wishes.   
  9. Hannah in episode nine witnesses a traumatic event that Clay thinks should be brought to light to get justice for what happened.
  10. In episode ten Hannah’s somewhat friend is going through a rough time, and her behavior grows increasingly errotic.
  11. Clay has a hard time listening to his tape in episode eleven and tensions grow at Bryce’s house.
  12. In episode twelve, the students that Hannah put on her tapes get subpoenas and secrets start to come out.
  13. In episode thirteen, it shows the final day of Hannah’s life and the few hours that put the final sacrifice of life in her hands.

Overall, my view on the show is that it was an intriguing one to watch because of all the different feelings that people have about it. Some believe that it is a way to open up other’s eyes to what their small actions can do to others. You could think that making one joke that they think is funny could ruin the other person’s entire day. On the other hand, others feel that the show is only giving people ideas. Many believe that it doesn’t show that suicide is not the way to go but that if you want to commit suicide that you should first get your revenge. When watching the show, I tried to keep both perspectives in mind. I can understand both sides, but I think that it helped me realize how my actions might affect someone else.

• One reason to love the netflix series Thirteen Reasons Why

Arts & Entertainment

New Show On Freeform Bases Mythical Characters on Greek Legends

Editorials

See You All Next School Year!

• Features

The Spring Band Concert

Editorials

A Student’s Analysis of Music and Social Groups

Features

Student Takes Initiative to Promote Autism Awareness and Acceptance

• Features

Culinary III

Opinion

Yin & Yang Debate: Hectic Hands

Arts & Entertainment

The Accidentials

• Editorials

David’s Thoughts: Stress

• Arts & Entertainment

Spring Makeup