Gotham Review

Taylor Fredericks, Staff Writer

When we think or hear the word Gotham, many people picture a big, muscular man dressed in a tight bat suit flying around a city beating up bad guys. Although we all know and love Batman, have you ever thought about what happened in Gotham before the Dark Knight appeared? If you have ever wondered this, then the TV drama series, Gotham, is the show for you.

Gotham is set in a time where Bruce Wayne, also known as Batman, is a young teenager who has just experienced a traumatic event, his parents’ death. Although the show does have Bruce in it, it mainly focuses on Commissioner Jim Gordon and his partner, Harvey Bullock, cracking down cases and bringing justice to the city. The show does include other characters from the comics as well such as, Selina Kyle, Alfred Pennyworth, Lucius Fox. The series has a total of three completed seasons, with a fourth one currently airing every Thursday on Fox at 7:00PM.

In episode one of season four, Pax Penguina which was written by John Stephens, it focuses on the city of the Tetch Virus incident that occurred in season three. As the city’s mayor, The Penguin has done a fantastic job of keeping crime in Gotham at an all time low. Even though Penguin is the mayor, he still keeps to his roots and runs a secret criminal underground organization. He created a License of Misconduct, which states that every criminal who possesses one can commit  ‘legal crime’. Bruce and Gordon do not approve of this, whereas, Selina Kyle agrees to the license. A group of criminals led by two men, Merton and Grady Harris, decide to try and take down Penguin. Their plan begins with breaking into Arkham Asylum to release inmate Jonathan Crane. The pair broke him out because Crane can create a certain gas, called Fear Toxin, that causes people to see their greatest fears. The Harrises planned to crash Penguin’s Iceberg Lounge, but they get caught. Penguin plans to execute them but the power goes out before he had a chance. Before being arrested, Merton uses the fear toxin on Penguin, which causes him to see Edward Nygma. Grady had escaped the party and went to Jonathan’s house. There he discovered that Crane adopted a new persona named “The Scarecrow” and sprayed him with fear gas.

In short, the ending of this episode leads into Goron pursuing Scarecrow. Even though this episode did not include anything significant for Bruce, the writers of the show have said that this series will focus on Bruce’s journey to become Batman. This will include Bruce getting a prototype of his suit, getting stronger, learning more fighting styles.This season of Gotham will certainly be more dramatic and action filled than any other season up to date.

• Gotham Review

Arts & Entertainment

New Show On Freeform Bases Mythical Characters on Greek Legends

• Gotham Review

Editorials

See You All Next School Year!

• Features

The Spring Band Concert

• Gotham Review

Editorials

A Student’s Analysis of Music and Social Groups

• Gotham Review

Features

Student Takes Initiative to Promote Autism Awareness and Acceptance

• Features

Culinary III

• Gotham Review

Opinion

Yin & Yang Debate: Hectic Hands

• Gotham Review

Arts & Entertainment

The Accidentials

• Editorials

David’s Thoughts: Stress

• Arts & Entertainment

Spring Makeup

Gotham Review