Student Entrepreneurs Take the Fashion World By Storm

To purchase a shirt, visit: http://intentiontobelong.bigcartel.com/

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo Credit: ITB Website

Photo Credit: ITB Website

Photo Credit: ITB Website

Mary Hammarlund, Staff Writer

When someone finds something that they are passionate about, they may want to go all the way with it. Some may be afraid to start following their passion, or feel that their dream is unachievable in a small town. However, a group of four boys have decided to take a risk to bring their love for fashion and business to the next level.

Collin Schulz, Sam Leighton, Delano Lomibao, and Steven Muller have created their own T-Shirt brand called Intention to Belong (ITB). This new brand was created over the summer when the boys sat down and started making designs. Their first design was a hit. The shirts, which sold for $20 each, were sold out within two months. These sales netted the four boys about $1,000. The most recent ITB design sold for $25 and made a total profit of $1,250. They have also reached outside of the school community and have around 1,500 fans.

“Our inspiration for creating Intention to Belong is simple. It is our love for fashion and business,” says Sam Leighton. “Taking it a step further and showing people that no matter where you live, you can successfully succeed with your dreams. As we are one of the first to do this in the area, we love to show people different when they say it won’t happen or it won’t work. And, the best part about it is that is exactly what happened.”

This was not the ITB team’s first attempt at making T-shirts. In 2015, the team had a brand known as Iced Tea Boys. Unfortunately, this attempt ended in failure. The team was discouraged by people telling them that they would not succeed in this area. Iced Tea Boys was later shut down due to the team not having the money and connections to make it successful. This past summer, however, the four friends came together and decided to try again. They came up with a new name, new designs, and jumped back into the idea.

“The name, Intention To Belong or ITB, is also very important to us,” Leighton stated. “Everyone is different, including us. Everyone at one point in their life [has] felt left out or weird because they are different. Everyone has the intention to belong, whether that is to a friend group, sports team, club or anything. Being different is okay. If you keep your dreams first and just go for them, sometimes being different will change your life.”

No matter where someone comes from and no matter their background, if people work hard and follow their dreams, they can accomplish anything. The ITB team proves that. “The excitement level to see yourself and your best friends succeed in what they love and are passionate about is the greatest thing in the world,” Leighton said. “It means everything.”

• Student Entrepreneurs Take the Fashion World By Storm

Arts & Entertainment

New Show On Freeform Bases Mythical Characters on Greek Legends

Editorials

See You All Next School Year!

• Features

The Spring Band Concert

Editorials

A Student’s Analysis of Music and Social Groups

Features

Student Takes Initiative to Promote Autism Awareness and Acceptance

• Features

Culinary III

Opinion

Yin & Yang Debate: Hectic Hands

Arts & Entertainment

The Accidentials

• Editorials

David’s Thoughts: Stress

• Arts & Entertainment

Spring Makeup