The Accidentials

Photo Credit: Download

Photo Credit: Download

Adam LeMahieu and Alli Ross

The Accidentals is an upcoming group of musicians in their early twenties. The group chose the name, The Accidentals, because of the variety of genres and instruments that they play around with. The group’s music has a mix of indie folk, bluegrass, and classical music. Savannah Buist, a member of the band, explains how the band got their name: “An accidental in music theory is this note that doesn’t quite fit, but you can still kind of sneak it in there, and I guess that’s what we’re trying to do with our genres. We don’t quite fit into one, but we’re sneaking through all of them and picking up some pieces along the way, and that’s what makes us, us.” The band consists of three members: Savannah Buist, Katie Larson, and Michael Dause. Savannah and Katie are the original founders of the Accidentals, creating the band in 2011, in Traverse City, Michigan. Michael joined the band in 2014 after he met Savannah and Katie at a music festival they were playing at. The band utilizes a wide variety of instruments to create their music such as the violin, ukulele, bass, piano, mandolin, acoustic/electric guitar, accordion, cello, glockenspiel, kazoo, and drums. This beautiful assortment of the instruments, along with their complicated but inventive lyrics, is what is used to assemble the enticing individuality to their songs, conveying a liveliness to them.

Odyssey

The Accidentals most recent album, “Odyssey,” came out on July 24, 2017. The first song, “Odyssey,” takes the listener on a journey, imitating a lot of the aspects from Homer’s book “The Odyssey”. The whole album itself has a soft, natural flow to it, yet still has a folk-rock/folk-pop sound in the rhythm and lyrics. Overall, the feel of this album is uplifting with lots of hidden meanings. Although the meanings behind the lyrics of the songs are somewhat difficult to decrypt, they are worth learning. The main instruments in this album include, the acoustic guitar, the violin, electric guitar, and drums. However, they use many other instruments throughout all of their work. The Odyssey has been a huge milestone in The Accidentals’ career.

• The Accidentials

Features

Student Takes Initiative to Promote Autism Awareness and Acceptance

• Features

Culinary III

• The Accidentials

Opinion

Yin & Yang Debate: Hectic Hands

• Editorials

David’s Thoughts: Stress

• Arts & Entertainment

Spring Makeup

• The Accidentials

Arts & Entertainment

Sierra’s Poems: Muddled Days

• The Accidentials

Arts & Entertainment

Monthly Poem: “Valentine’s Love” by Tayler Otten

• The Accidentials

Arts & Entertainment

Sierra’s Poems: Criss Cross

• The Accidentials

Current Events

President Trump Presents Several News Platforms with the “Fake News” Award

• The Accidentials

Arts & Entertainment

Sierra’s Poems: Out of the Head

The Accidentials