Senior Standout: Ben Hiles

Sarah Cromwell, Staff Writer

John Maxwell once said, “Leaders become great, not because of their power, but because of their ability to empower others.”  This is a prime example of the leadership that Ben Hiles possesses. Ben Hiles demonstrates his leadership as president of NHS and the vice president of Key Club.  He is also a part of Community Service Club, Sound and Lighting, and the Talon. Ben is a member of Sheboygan Area Youth Symphony, where he practices for two hours a week.  He was also recently a part of the Pit Band for the play High School Musical. Ben is very dedicated to playing the saxophone and practices for around 12 hours a week. Ben recently was a recipient of the John Michael Kohler Arts Center Senior Honor Recital, which required an audition.  Ben has also been in the EWC Honors Band for two years, and the Tri-State Honors Band for one year.

Outside of playing and listening to music he enjoys photography and works at Firehouse Pizza. Ben is currently taking three AP classes, including Music Theory, English and Calculus, as well as CAPP Biology.  In the future he will be attending Lawrence University to become a high school band teacher because he wants to help the next generation of musicians find their passion in music and aid in their development to become the best people they can be like his teachers have done for him.”  Mr. Beekhuizen has been the most helpful teacher in his life because he has helped Ben to pursue music even when it seems difficult to continue and has helped him to find the personal meaning that music can bring to life. Mr. Thompson has also encouraged Ben by helping him to think critically and gain skepticism which has ultimately brought a new depth and recognition of others’ ideas to his life.

Ben’s favorite quote is by Dumbledore from Harry Potter, “It is unknown the what we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more.” Ben’s favorite memory from high school is the band trip to New Orleans. One thing Ben wishes he would have done previously in high school is “understand quicker the uselessness of trying to be exactly like other people.”  Ben has been a standout at Sheboygan Falls High School by showing the value of being yourself.

Senior Standout: Ben Hiles