“A Quiet Place” Recieves Loud Praise From Its Viewers

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo Credit: Download

Photo Credit: Download

Photo Credit: Download

Riley Fitzpatrick, Staff Writer

A Quiet Place is an intense movie, bringing fear to tons of people, especially parents. The whole premise of the movie is to make parents think about “what if I can’t protect my kids?”  and some things are out of their control when taking care of their children. The parents in the movie, played by John Krasinski and Emily Blunt, are faced with the struggle of keeping themselves and their children completely silent or face the consequences of a horrifying creature that has an amazing sense of hearing. There are three children in the movie, but the mother is expecting another. There are two boys who are played by Cade Woodward and Noah Jupe. They also have a deaf daughter who is played by an actual deaf actress, Millicent Simmonds. The five of them, six counting the unborn baby, all have to live their lives in silence and typically communicate with sign language. As the movie goes on, we see the true struggle of it all, and we witness the horror of what happens to someone when they make a noise.

With the daughter being deaf, it becomes an even harder struggle than what you had assumed. In a world without electricity, it’s easy to imagine that implants and hearing aids don’t last long. The father attempts to create an implant for his daughter to make things easier on her, but ultimately, they keep failing time and time again. This is something really important to the plot, but it’s not really that important until the end. With the character being deaf, there was a want for a deaf actress to actually portray her.

John Krasinski, an actor and director of the film, had pushed hard to get the deaf actress to play the deaf daughter, Regan Abbott. He knew he wanted her because it would make the character and entire movie more authentic. Actress Millicent Simmonds was a key part in the cast and crew learning sign language for the movie. She had taken the time to teach everyone, along with having an actual sign language teacher there to help out too. Simmonds can serve as a huge inspiration to any deaf kids that want to be in a career like hers. By putting her in such a big movie, everyone can see that it is possible to make it big despite her difference in lifestyle.

By now, most people have seen the movie or has at least heard of it. It has been talked about a ton, especially by huge stars in Hollywood. So many celebrities had mentioned it being amazing, that they loved it, etc. Ryan Reynolds raved about the thriller on Twitter, saying he had seen it twice in one week. Chris Pratt posted an instagram video about how much he loved the movie with the caption, “it’s scary, moving, with amazing performances and a totally original idea. A+++ 97% on rotten tomatoes, for a reason. Bring a friend.” Clearly people are really enjoying the movie and how original and moving it is. Afterall, it did make $50 million in ticket sales.

• “A Quiet Place” Recieves Loud Praise From Its Viewers

Arts & Entertainment

New Show On Freeform Bases Mythical Characters on Greek Legends

Editorials

See You All Next School Year!

• Features

The Spring Band Concert

Editorials

A Student’s Analysis of Music and Social Groups

Features

Student Takes Initiative to Promote Autism Awareness and Acceptance

• Features

Culinary III

Opinion

Yin & Yang Debate: Hectic Hands

Arts & Entertainment

The Accidentials

• Editorials

David’s Thoughts: Stress

• Arts & Entertainment

Spring Makeup