SFHS/Plymouth Rivalry Motivates Track Atheletes At Vanderpan

***Tony Bretall cleared 6’7 in high jump and tied the school record ***The boys lost to Plymouth by 1 1/2 points ***The girls lost to Plymouth by 30 points

This year was the 48th Vanderpan Invitational in Sheboygan Falls, Wi.  Vanderpan originated from Lester Vanderpan, who was a Phy Ed teacher and a track coach at Sheboygan Falls High School.  The boys and girls team took 2nd, both losing to Plymouth. Both teams showed a tremendous amount of effort. There were several personal records and season records for each team.  The girls team took first in 5 out of 18 events. The 5 events included; the 4×8 relay which consisted of Brianna Kleckner, Megan Rammer, Brooke Casper, and Arissa Scott, the 800 meter run which was run by Megan Rammer,  the mile ran by Arissa Scott with a time of 5:41.82, the 2 mile also ran by Arissa Scott, with a time of 12:37.14, and Allison Antonie in shot put, tying the meet record with a throw of 39-06.50. “Throughout all the hard work and dedication, the girls track team has taken top half in every meet, outdoor and indoor,” says team captain, Miranda Allee. “I’m proud to be part of such a talented team and excited to see what we can accomplish the rest of the season.” The boys team took first in 5 out of 18 events as well.  The 5 events included; the 4×2 which consisted of Drew WIllfahrt, Daniel Fenn, Tony Bretall, and Joel Ziter, Nathan Garczynski took first in both the shot put and discus, and Tony Bretall took first in both the high jump and pole vault with a jump of 6-07.00 and a vault of 11-06.50.

“The whole team is wearing black today because it’s Plymouth’s funeral day.  I woke up in a new zone today and I know my teammates did too. A lot of people are talking about the rain, but we aren’t going to let that affect us.  This is our year to end the drought. DEFEND THE SWAMP!”
— Nick Bimmel, Senior

There has always been a rivalry between Sheboygan Falls and Plymouth. The rivalry has been going on for a long time, and every year Plymouth always wins but this year Falls thought that this could be our year — the year we finally win. Once the day came for the meet, Sheboygan Falls was ready to battle for first place with Plymouth and the other teams that were attending. Once the meet began, all the other teams wanted to win the big trophy that was given the winner of the overall meet. Falls came in as the team that no one really looked at as actual competition. Other teams just viewed them a team that was there to take up space. When the meet actually began, the teams were just mesmerized by how good SFHS actually is. The teams had to fight for every point they took at that meet. In the end, the SFHS track teams just didn’t have enough to overcome Plymouth. They didn’t get to take home the big prize and win that meet, but they did have a good competition that pushed them to become a better team than before. Overall, the team has completed a great season and has accomplished a lot of new PR’s (Personal Records). Also team has shown good work to become better athletes and better competitors.

GIRLS:

4×800: Brianna Kleckner, Megan Rammer, Brooke Casper, Arissa Scott (10:45.09)

Shot Put: Allison Antonie (39-06.50)

2 Mile: Arissa Scott (12:37.14)

1 Mile: Arissa Scott (5:41.82)

800m: Megan Rammer (2:30.98)

BOYS:

4×200: Drew Willfahrt, Daniel Fenn, Tony Bretal, Joel Zitzer (1:34.18)

Shot Put: Nathan Garczynski (49-05.25)

Discus: Nathan Garczynski (160-10)

High Jump: Tony Bretall (6-07.00)

Pole Vault: Tony Bretall (11-06.50)