Java Roast serves more than coffee

Coffee shop serves local community through donations

Back to Article
Back to Article

Java Roast serves more than coffee

Makayla and Trevor take care of an early morning customer.

Photo Credit: Emma Schuren

Photo Credit: Emma Schuren

Photo Credit: Emma Schuren

Alyssa De Fere, Staff Writer

The Java Roast, the gym lobby coffee shop, has been selling hot and cold beverages as well as giving back to the community for almost six years. The Java Roast is about more than coffee and smoothies.  In addition to providing job experience for Java Roast workers, the little coffee shop donates profits to the school and broader community.

The Java Roast donated in September to the Humane Society and to Sharon Richardson Hospice in October.  This month they are donating to the Sheboygan Falls Food Pantry.  They have also helped out Furry Bottoms Dog Rescue.  Donating to nonprofit foundations are not the only ways that the Java Roast gives back to the community.

Wehrman explained a couple of the other ways Java Roast funds go into the community. “We  purchased an iPad for a little girl who had cancer, and it just gave her something to do while having chemo treatments.  We bought gas cards for a little guy who needs to go to Children’s Hospital all the time.  So we gave his parents $150 of gas cards,”  Wehrman said.

The money that the Coffee Shop makes is divided up between the student employees as well.  A percentage of the money made also goes towards gym equipment for the High School.  “We’ve purchased a couple three wheeled bikes for gym, as well as 15 sets of snowshoes, which anybody can use in Phy Ed.  Some other funky outdoor games too,” Wehrman said.  “My students and I have gone camping two years in row and used some of the profits for that.”

The Java Roast also provides discounts to satisfy their customers.  “You can buy a Falcon Roast card for $5. When you fill it up you get a free hot beverage, and then you write your name on the back of it and you put it in for a drawing at the end of the month for another free hot beverage,” said Wehrman.  “What we are doing next week is if you bring in a non perishable food item on Tuesday the 17th, you will get 50% off your drink.”

The coffee shop has expanded over the years by adding new and unique beverages.  Some were created by Ms. Debra Wehrman. Last year the Java Roast tried the Pumpkin Spice Latte, but it wasn’t a hit.  Ms. Wehrman and her students searched for other flavors.

“I like to experiment with different things.  Somebody would come and say ‘can you do this?’ and it just sparks an inspiration to try something new,” she said.  “So we have a caramel frappuccino and a chocolate cappuccino and so sparks a capfrap, which was my invention.  Where it’s kind of a cross between a frappuccino and cappuccino.  It really helped but still probably our #1 best seller is the Glacier.”

The Java Roast is open in the Gym Lobby from 7:30-8:20 a.m. and after school on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:10-3:25. Freshman Trevor Teumer and Ms. Wehrman announce information about the Java Roast at the end of each school day.

• Java Roast serves more than coffee

Arts & Entertainment

New Show On Freeform Bases Mythical Characters on Greek Legends

• Java Roast serves more than coffee

Editorials

See You All Next School Year!

• Features

The Spring Band Concert

• Java Roast serves more than coffee

Editorials

A Student’s Analysis of Music and Social Groups

• Java Roast serves more than coffee

Features

Student Takes Initiative to Promote Autism Awareness and Acceptance

• Features

Culinary III

• Java Roast serves more than coffee

Opinion

Yin & Yang Debate: Hectic Hands

• Java Roast serves more than coffee

Arts & Entertainment

The Accidentials

• Editorials

David’s Thoughts: Stress

• Arts & Entertainment

Spring Makeup

Java Roast serves more than coffee