We are all now

Natallie St. Onge, Co-Editor

Dear Readers,

As a writer, I tend to look back on all my past poems and short stories that I have scribbled on loose papers and on the lines of seventy-six cent notebooks.  So as I stumble across another deranged doodled stack, I pull out a sturdier notebook, I see that doesn’t fit the thoughts tattooed on the others.  Stained with a soothing lavender and inked with a magnificent drawing, it simply does not belong because it is not just mine to claim.

It’s the Menagerie from my freshman year, the literary journal for EWC writers.  Flipping through the pages, glancing at everyone’s work, I come across my poem called, Tick Tock.  Reading, and maybe even cringing at my small freshman self, the meaning behind it, I realize I have grown, but this poem still rings true. The poem is about time.

Time is a precious, precious concept in this world that many take for granted. However, I don’t blame them. Time is anywhere, everywhere, in our heart beats and pulsing through our minds.  It’s contagious, either a symptom of living or a diagnosis of death.  We like to think we have all the time in the world, to complete that To-Do List tomorrow or even tell that someone that you love them, but time is never guaranteed.

So, I ask myself; why do we promise ourselves another tomorrow, when we didn’t already complete the tomorrow we wanted?  In my poem, I speak about the time we waste glued to our technology, filtering our minds and sights through a lens,seeing someone else’s images rather than adventuring out into life and taking a picture ourselves, or even saying that extra hello. As a society, we seem to communicate too much through a phone or a computer. We have easy access to one another through technology, but such devices also allow us to hide ourselves and our feelings confidently.  There is an irony here.  By ricocheting texts through the cyber world, or posting paragraphs of inspiration or pictures that create jealousy, we spare ourselves the time it takes to actually venture out, to actually say those words.  And maybe we think saying words would make us stumble, maybe even embarrass ourselves, or climbing that mountain would only exhaust us, put us in danger of facing our fears for once.

So knowing that our time is not guaranteed, I ask myself and everyone around me, what are we living for? Our phones?

I write this editorial for a friend who taught me that time is not just a figment of imagination, or a thing willing to hang around for forever and spare me when I need an extra minute.  No, time is NOW.  Time is another friend.  Time is something we say hello to, and it does, indeed, come with a goodbye.  Time is the memories that will always stick with us even when the tick of the clock is running out.  We must make every moment count for something extraordinary, otherwise, the sand in the timer will run away and not come back.

In my poem, I write, “We wake up and open our eyes to the screen and sites.  Instead to our dreams and goals, that once filled our minds,” and although this is still true and something that tends to haunt me everyday with the decisions I am making now.  In my article on The Hour of Code, I explain how classmates of mine have dedicated their time productively, creating something they enjoy and that they will take with them through their entire life. More often than not, I think of myself and all the writings I do, all the thoughts I think and have to wonder if it’ll ever get me somewhere, or if I’m wasting more time in telling myself they are not.  And that’s the scary part; wasting time for all the wrong things.

My friend, the one who I am writing this for, her time has already evaporated into the universe and now, only the memories last.  I know for a fact that she did not live enough to see the world she wanted to see, the peace and all of the sights it offers.  But what I do not know about my dear friend, is if she regretted anything.  Through her charisma and spunky character, she was always able to warm the air with a laugh. Anyone could tell she lived in the moment. She made the now her own, and she owned it with such grace and flawlessness, it made others envious.  She taught me to live with time, not against it no trying to save it.  She taught a lesson everyone needs to learn.

I write this not only for my friend, but for the year that will soon end and for the 365 day that will have passed by and for all the moments that I have so righteously owned.  Instead of waiting for 2016 to roll in, I’ve decided to start now, or at least to declare that I am starting this revelation now, a journey I am encouraging you all to join.  Say hello to the adventures, to the new memories, to the new greetings and to the new friends.  Clear your minds of all the doubts and the worries of goodbyes, and LIVE NOW.

We are all breathing.  We are all living.  We are all now.

So now, own it.

With much love,

Natallie

We are all now